Cox 2019 (Photo: Brian Knight/recruit757)
by Andy Hilton, recruit757
This past weekend saw Lake Taylor and Princess Anne get upset. The result is Lake Taylor getting knocked down to #9 in the ranking while Princess Anne is knocked out. There’s no shortage of teams waiting to jump in the top ten. Warhill may have the best argument sitting at 5-0 on the season. The top four of Woodside, Salem, Oscar Smith and Maury seem to be the teams that really have the fewest flaws at this point in the season.
Phoebus’ one-point loss to Lake Taylor is the only thing between them and an undefeated season. Deep Creek is undefeated with the toughest stretch of their season coming up. Ocean Lakes has an overtime loss to Princess Anne as their only blemish.
Here’s the latest ranking of top teams in the 757 region:
recruit757/Friday Night Flights Top Ten (10/7/19)
10. York (5-0) – the Falcons struggled to beat rival Tabb, 10-7. Warhill (5-0) waits to make their case against York in a game on November 1.
9. Lake Taylor (4-2) – the Titans were blasted by Varina 56-7 last week. Lake Taylor is a quality team, but their two losses show that there are chinks in their armor. They’ll be tested this week as they host I.C. Norcom (4-1). A win by the Greyhounds could earn them a spot in the top ten.
8. Cox (4-1) – Cox gave Ocean Lakes a tough run a few weeks ago in a seven point loss. They have been steady since then, including a convincing win over Kellam last week. The Falcons host Landstown (4-2) this week.
7. Ocean Lakes (5-1) – the Dolphins struggled to hold off Green Run, 35-30. Their game against #1 Maury this week will show us a lot about both teams.
6. Deep Creek (5-0) – the Hornets crushed Lakeland. Deep Creek will be thoroughly tested in the back half of the season with games against Western Branch, Indian River, Oscar Smith, King’s Fork and Nansemond River to close out district slate.
5. Phoebus (4-1) – the Phantoms got a convincing 42-7 win over a feisty Gloucester team. Saturday’s game against Denbigh (0-6) should be a cake walk.
4. Woodside (6-0) – Woodside continues to win via the shut out. Heritage was the latest victim. All five district games have been shut outs. The Wolverines have surrendered 14 points on the season.
3. Salem (5-0) – the Sun Devils sit alone at the top of the Beach District. They had a bye week last week and face First Colonial (0-6) in a soft return to action Friday.
2. Oscar Smith (4-1) – the Tigers pounced on Western Branch, 56-14, scoring 42 unanswered points to close out the game. King’s Fork (2-3) visits this week.
1. Maury (5-0) – Maury had little problem with Hermitage. They could get a test this week with a road game at #7 Ocean Lakes (5-1).
Also in the mix: Lafayette (4-1), Princess Anne (4-2), Indian River (3-2), Nansemond River (4-1), Churchland (5-1), I.C. Norcom (4-1), Warhill (5-0), Hampton (4-2), Landstown (4-2).
– Andy Hilton